Friday, July 8, 2016

A Spicebush Special


  • And this blue-tailed wonder is a spicebush baby, the Papilio Troilus or a "Spicebush Swallowtail." Last week I was a little concerned about my young spicebush that I planted in the fall (purchased at Nasami Farm in Whately, MA) because many of the leaves were eaten and the stems that reached closest to the sun were barren. Then I found a folded leaf and opening it very slowly and carefully, I spotted a large caterpillar with a very bright, greenish yellow body and a huge black eye that seemed to be staring at me (just nature's design intended to provide some defense for the juicy little being.). I closed the leaf as one would tuck a baby in a blanket and this morning I spotted this beautiful spicebush butterfly.

1 comment:

Liz Brennan said...

lovely plant and butterfly!