Sunday, June 5, 2011

Poison Ivy and What's Love Got to Do With It?

Some forms of love are toxic. But some love is especially good and healthy. Poison ivy can be a good and healthy love if you are a bird. There are over sixty types of birds who relish the ivy's berry. Let's not call it poison, let's call it bird ivy and just try to avoid it for ourselves. As for chemicals that kill bird ivy, leave them alone. They really are toxic.
Check out this nice site: http://www.kingdomplantae.net/poisonIvy.php
image from wikimedia commons. creative commons license. Foto from Ithaca nature trail (Stilfehler)

2 comments:

Marvin said...

"Bird Ivy" is abundant on our place in the Arkansas Ozarks. By and large, we simple let it grow, though there is one area at the corner of our house where I am unsuccessful trying to kill the ivy which wants to grow up the side of the house and under the siding.

We are fortunate that neither my wife nor I is highly sensitive to urushiol. My wife has never had a reaction. With one exception, I've only had small, mild reactions. Were either of us highly sensitive, maintaining a tolerant attitude would not be so easy.

tess said...

You're right, Marvin. I get carried away sometimes; but I was tired of folks telling me I absolutely had to get rid of it when I hadn't met anyone who'd actually come in contact with it and had a bad reaction. Not yet anyway. But I did pull up some of it (gloved and covered). :-)